Should I Use Bleach

Bleach does not kill Mold!

Do not use Bleach to clean mold on porous materials! “Bleach doesn’t kill mold.” The active ingredient in bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite and is very effective in removing the discoloration but will leave the microflora that will enable the mold to return in exactly the same spot when conditions are right.

From the EPA – “Biocides (like chlorine bleach) are toxic to humans as well as mold!

The Department of Health cautions “Bleach alone is not an effective way to combat mold. It won’t reliably kill mold, especially if organic contamination (dirt, dust, mold growth, etc.) has not been cleaned away first. Bleach consists mostly of water, so it can actually provide some of the moisture needed for the growth of mold. And finally, bear in mind that bleach treatment doesn’t actually remove mold spores or particles.”

You have to remove mold not just kill it!
The purpose of mold remediation is to remove the mold to prevent human exposure and damage to building materials and furnishings. It is necessary to clean up mold contamination, not just to kill the mold. Dead mold is still allergenic, and some dead molds are potentially toxic. The use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency as a routine practice during mold remediation. Biocides are toxic to humans, as well as to mold.

Reasons Why Bleach is Ineffective in Killing Mold

Its ion structure prevents chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood—it just stays on the outside surface, whereas mold has enzyme roots growing inside the porous construction materials, and Chlorine Bleach is NOT registered with the EPA as a disinfectant to kill mold. You can verify that important fact yourself when you are unable to find an EPA registration number for killing mold on the label of any brand of chlorine bleach.